7 Diet Tips for an ‘Apple’ Shaped Waist-line
1. Don’t diet – just eat healthily - Calorie & fat restricted diet can cause unnecessary stress to the body by giving it signals that there is a famine. This stress can slow the metabolism & lead to fat storage. Unbalanced blood sugar levels common with restrictive diets can also lead to fat storage due to the effects of insulin.
2. Regular eating habits (food about every 3 hours) will help to keep your blood sugar levels stable. This will prevent cravings for sweet & caffeinated foods both of which can lead to instabilities in blood sugar levels & increased fat storage. I recommend 3 main meals & 2 healthy snacks daily.
3. Breakfast is truly the most important meal of the day – skipping it can confuse the body into famine / fat storage mode.
4. Avoid refined carbohydrates & sugar rich foods as they are very stimulating to your blood sugar levels. What goes up quickly, comes down very quickly & the body often has to release adrenaline & cortisol to bring your blood sugar levels back to normal again. Either this or you get the urge to eat more sweet refined food soon afterwards.
5. Avoid big carbohydrates after 6pm (e.g. pasta, rice & bread) – it is unlikely that you will burn the energy off from these foods in the evening & this excess energy can be redeposited as fat.
6. Have protein with each meal & snack. It slows down the rate at which food is digested therefore it controls insulin levels & increases glucagon which encourages the body to burn fat for energy.
7. Essential fatty acids such as omega 3, 6, & 9 can also slow the release of energy from carbohydrates as well as boosting your metabolism & making you less insulin resistant.
For advice tailored to you & your individual needs, call for a free 15 minute, no commitment, health check today to see how we can assist you with your health goals. Call now on 0845 0502 442.