The Nutrition Coach Blog London Nutritionist The Nutrition Coach offers advice on healthy living, nutrition and diet issues such as IBS, bloating, gluten intolerance and more.

Are you drinking enough water?

The most important nutrient for the body is water, and its consumption is vital for our existence. An average man weighing 75kg is 45 litres water. Two thirds of this is within the cells of the body, sustaining the chemical reactions that are essential for life. Water loss of as little as 1-2% of body weight can impair mental and physical function. Losses of 7% will disrupt physiology and result in total body collapse. Dehydration of a muscle by 3% can result in a 10% loss of contractile strength and an 8% loss of speed!

Most people operate with low-grade dehydration, with a bulk of their fluid intake being ones that are dehydrating – caffeine and alcohol. These drinks cause a greater loss of water than the amount they replace.  Unfortunately, by the time you feel thirsty you are already significantly dehydrated, Which makes it all the more important to develop a habit of drinking water regularly throughout the day.

So, how much water should we be drinking?  Adults should drink at least 1.5 – 2 litres of uncarbonated bottled or filtered water per day, and more when exercising or when the weather is hot.  Drinking enough water is also hugely important when the body is healing or when detoxing.

Find out more about our detox programmes and retreat, or contact us to make an appointment at one of our London clinics.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply


Nutrition coach
© 2016 The Nutrition Coach Ltd. All rights reserved. Web development by CreaCom Design.